Careers

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How I Picked My Profession

Introduction

I want to share how I became a cosmetologist.  I hope by sharing I will help you to decide on a career that comes naturally that you will love.  I hope this will make choosing a career easier and help you to exspand on what you already know and love to do in life.


I never thought I would be a hairdresser.  I always wanted to be a veterinarian.  The problem with that I never did good in school.  I also as a kid I wanted to be a singer and a pianist.

I used to play store.  I was the cashier ringing up items.  It was fun as a child.  When I became old enough to get a job.  I worked at Kmart.  I quickly found out playing cashier was fun as a child but in the real world was far different from what I had imagined.

I got other jobs similar to Kmart but realized  those kinds of jobs is not really what I had in mind for myself. 

I did a lot of babysitting.  I loved children and they loved and respected me.  I worked in a daycare for a while.  My father owned a duplex.  I convinced my father into renting one side out to me so I could watch children.

He finally agreed.  He swore I wouldn't get enough kids but he was wrong.  I put a add in the paper in one day I had my limit of children to babysit.  Plus a waiting list!

After a few months my dad came to me and said.  What do you think about turning the whole duplex into a daycare.

We did the research got everything approved by the state and county.  Now I am a proud owner of a daycare.

It was fine and dandy until my mother got cancer and she needed 24/7 care and all the red tape I had to induer just to keep the daycare open.  I didn't want to but I had to close to take care of my mother.

After my mother died I had to find something else to do to make money.

Then I get a phone call from a friend she wanted me to help here with a perm.  I permed and cut her hair.  She said I should go to school to be a cosmetologist.  Well I blew it off at first.  I started to think maybe she has something so I did the research than enrolled myself in to the Roffler College.

I graduate in 1987 and retired in 2004 due to disabilities.

You see I had a natural ability to fix hair and I made a good living doing what I loved.  Now I can't stand on my feet long hours.  I can't work in a beauty shop or barber shop anymore.

Now I have to find something else to do for a living.  I am like you now looking and wondering what to do next.

Author Comment

Think about when you were a kid.  Think about compliments you have received from doing something for someone else.  What are you passionate about and how can you profit from what you love?



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Warning: Do not drop your link here if your blog/website is not about careers or job training. It will only be deleted!